It’s survey time! In honor of the upcoming holidays, I’m filling out this survey from my friend Mark Daniel.
1. Hot chocolate or apple cider? Hot chocoloate with mini marshmallows.
2. Turkey or Ham? I usually fill up on green bean casserole, rice pilaf, and homemade rolls before the meat is even an issue.
3. Do you get a Fake or Real cut it yourself Christmas tree? My folks get a real Christmas tree from Home Depot. I don’t put a tree up in my apartment, but if i did, it would be a fake tree since I drive a beetle.
4. Decorations on the outside of your house? Nope. Except a wreath sometimes.
5. Snowball fights or sledding? The only time this is an option is in Iowa, where there is real live snow. When I am there, I’d much rather be reading a good book snuggled up on the couch or baking in a warm kitchen.
6. Do you like hanging around the fireplace? Why? We don’t light the fireplace much at my house. At my old house we did, and it was good for hanging around.
7. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? I love all kinds of shopping.
8. Favorite Christmas song? Is usually the one I’m signing at that very moment, especially if I grew up singing it at church… I don’t like the silly pop songs, though, like Jingle Bell Rock or Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree. Yuck. If I HAD to choose some favorites, they would be: O, Holy Night; Welcome to our World (Chris Rice version); Some Children See Him (an old Alfred Burt carol); Bring a torch, Jeanette Isabella; Oh Come, oh Come, Emannuel.
10. How do you feel about Christmas movies? What are your top 3 favorites? I like Christmas movies okay, but I don’t get real sentimental about them.
11. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music? Canned crappy Christmas music should be outlawed. It’s never too early to make good Christmas music, or listen to a real, heartfelt performance.
12. Stockings before or after presents? BEFORE!!! Is it time to do stockings yet??? How about now??
13. Carolers, do you or do you not listen to them? This has never been an issue in my life.
14. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you? I go to my folk’s house for the holiday.
15. Do you read the Christmas Story the night before Christmas? No. Instead my parents give my sister and I a new Christmas book each year, and a new Christmas ornament. We spend time together reading the books and putting the ornaments on the tree. 🙂 This is one of my favorite traditions, and in recent years, Beth and I have teamed up to give Mom and Dad an ornament and book from the two of us.
16. What do you do after presents and dinner? Sit on the couch all day and play with presents!!
17. What is your favorite holiday smell? Home.
18. Ice skating or walking around the mall? Ice skating if there’s a rink. Walking around the mall if there’s not.
19. Favorite Christmas memory? Singing in church on Christmas Eve.
20. Favorite Part about winter? Seeing friends and family more than usual.
21. Ever been kissed under mistletoe? No. I don’t really like kissing in public.
22. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa does not wrap presents. Plus, I can’t remember when I believed in Santa, since my older sister told me there was no Santa ASAP.
23. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored lights on the tree, white lights on the house.
24. Do you hang mistletoe? No. In my experience, it leads to uncomfortable public kisses.
25. When do you put your decorations up? Decemberish.
26. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Changes year to year. One year we had Mexican food and it was really good. Other years we do a traditional dinner, and I like that, too.
27. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Sigh. There is no innocence left in the world. 🙂
28. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, just exchange books and ornaments.
29. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? When I was little we would do it together as a family. Now I just come home and it’s all done already.
30. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Are you kidding??!! Snow rains down like manna from heaven in Texas. Especially since we are all dumb and can’t drive in the snow– it means a day off of school.
31. Can you ice skate? sorta
32. Do you remember your favorite gift? I dont’ have a favorite gift
33. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? I think often the holidays inspire me to try and be a better person.
34. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas candy.
35. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Exchanging ornaments and books. Before a few years ago, it was the Christmas Eve service at my hometown church. But our pastor retired and now the service isn’t the same.
36. What tops your tree? For a long time, nothing, but Mom and I found these awesome toppers– a star, a santa, and a snowman. We like all three so they rotate year to year.
37. Which do you prefer, giving or Receiving? Giving.
38. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? pretty to look at, but one a season is plenty for me.
39. If you can have one GIFT this year what would it be? Super powers.