Beth and I went out for sushi and cocktails tonight, and decided that we are both very happy these days. We found a fabulous little sushi place out off Bee Caves, and the bartender let us try a little bit of everything he was making! It pays to sit at the bar eat slowly! Wheee! 🙂
It has occured to me in the past week or so that I have been very lax about posting in the past 18 months or so. In an effort to catch up, here is some random nostalgic musing.
1. Met Katie. What an amazing roommate and friend. 🙂 I have learned a great deal about myself by living with her, and I am SO LUCKY to know her.
2. Played at Hyde Park Baptist. I have come a long way in my relationship with God/my childhood/my current self because of weekly attendance at this church. Even though I don’t agree with some of the things (namely secular politics) there I have gained much by attending.
3. Dated a few amazing people. All very different, important relationships. Lots of good came from every one.
4. Gone to class mostly. College is such a cool opportunity. I love learning new things, and most of my professors have been very good. Looking back, especially, I know that all the effort so far has been worth it.
5. I can finally make really good oboe reeds. In a pinch, even with a crappy gouge, I can make something that plays well. I’d better go make some more reeds before lightning strikes me dead for writing this down!
6. I have learned to stand up for myself and say what I want. (Most of the time.) This one was a hard lesson to learn and cost me some friends. But a good lesson, still.
7. Drinking/smoking/random nights of fun. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been shitfaced in college, and my partying days are getting fewer and fewer. That having been said, however, there’s nothing like getting smashed with friends downtown. Or alone with Katie in the apartment 🙂
8. Developing a really close relationship with my parents, grandparents, and sister. This has been the best part of growing up. I have a thousand times better relationship with my family now than I did in high school. Thank goodness for them… I am blessed with a great family, and now I know it.
9. Playing oboe. Top moments include Pines of Rome, Spiel, Metamorphoses after Ovid, and a couple of gigs. I am still working on being the oboist I want to be.
10. Learning to be okay with who I am. still working on this one, but I am much more comfortable in my own skin now than I was 4 years ago. Thank God.